Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Knowing


I’ve known horrible.
Disaster hailstorms on the heart,
break-your-soul months,
tears trapped in well-meaning jars,
landslides of secret wishes into the abyss.

I’ve known tragic.
Families who’ve tripped over
love - their every move forward
cracked the surface of good intentions,
plunged into ice-cold regret.

I’ve known sorrow.
I could tell you of a life 
I spent walking on eggshells,
the weight of my every step
too heavy to keep the peace.

But - and this is the secret
to waking up with the dawn 
and knowing you’re ready 
to live 
another day -

I’ve known beautiful.

I’ve seen that sometimes, 
if you remember to look,
the moon summons her smile 
through a perfect tree-branch frame.

I’ve known luck;
I’ve loved people with more depth than a skydive.

poem - June 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment