Friday, April 29, 2011

Gravity

I'm getting so slack with my writing habits since I've been home. It's bothering me. So, lovelies, here's some thoughts from my backyard:

I took an old beach towel and a book outside to relax and read and enjoy the sun and wind, but it's a little colder today. I'm a bit chilly but it's refreshing anyway. Laying here looking up at the sky and the tree limbs above me reminded me of a habit from my childhood. I would lay smack in the middle of the two-acre lawn at my dad's house and close my eyes for a while. My family always thought I was napping. I think I wanted them to think that, but anyway, I was taking some time to just ponder. I'd press my fingers into the grass and dirt and seriously will myself to feel the earth moving. It was during those years in school when you're just learning about all the wonders of what it is to live in a universe, the specifics of gravity and orbit, and the incredible incomprehension that is an infinite universe filled with countless galaxies like ours. I loved those small moments to myself. Looking back, I was a strange little kid. I guess that's what happens when the gravity of a family weighs so heavily on children.

Here's to remaining sane in the face of all those facts that threaten to hurl you into oblivion.

I'm seeing Rusko tonight in Philly, so a review of that will be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment