Wednesday, April 13, 2011

College vs. Learning

“Education is the sum of what students teach each other in between lectures and seminars. You sit in each others' rooms, you share enthusiasms, you talk a lot of wank about politics, religion, art and the cosmos and then you go to bed, alone or together according to taste. I mean, how else do you learn anything, how else do you take your mind for a walk?”
Stephen Fry
I'm currently sitting awkwardly on a bean bag that generally sucks at being a bean bag, listening to my friends talk around me and occasionally chiming in. It occurs to me that so much of my time at college is spent having alternately asinine and profound conversations peppered with insane amounts of profanity. And really, I have to agree with Mr. Fry; this is how I take my mind for a walk. 

We talk a lot of wank, for sure. I just finished explaining the awkward tale of the first time I shaved my legs, for example. Bee just walked in and complained of the smell in here, which is admittedly an unfortunate mixture of chinese food and bleach. Marilyn Manson in blaring, and I'm blocking it out. Gorillaz just came on, much better. Across the room, Cathi flails with joy while stumblin' upon the flashy flashy lights of the internet, and here I sit writing words to nobody. 

We help each other with homework, sometimes academically and sometimes just by letting each other bitch about the sheer amount of bs that goes into every assignment. We discuss the notion of time and how we always seem to lack it, make some nerd jokes, share stories, gross each other out. We help each other through.

So for now, as I stare at the drawing of a cow next to the word "brodeo" and shudder at the sheer amount of poetry I have to edit by next week, I'm simply content thinking about how so much of what I know has not come from my time in a lecture hall but from listening to the people around me talk nonsense and truth. Man, I love college.

No comments:

Post a Comment