Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Elegy



Run away with me, keep going till 
we finally loosen our fierce grip on real.
Tell me, explain this life-wreck.
Answer me, are we here or have we strayed?
I swear this, promise it, some days all I want is
cigarette smoke all around, flinty glances drifting 
through the haze, smoldering love sparking burning 
through veins and the sweet basic release of skin on skin on skin.

Other days I can’t think about anything but young summer 
evenings at the creek and finding snakes and climbing escaping
into trees and crying into sudsy sinks - slimy dishes and blame for all the world's ills,
and more dishes - and running running running through the corn fields and 
tag-you're-it and sprinting heaving lurching fleeing through 
that sudden july thunderstorm pitching sadness anger bitterness into the wind 
and arms legs face into the hail.

This is for the incessant dragging riptide of my adolescent years. 
This is for the house I might have loved and the
first time I snuck out of it. This is for the 
city I wished to call home and the 
brother I grieved for while he lived. This is for the 
boy I loved then and even now and the 
sound of his voice over the telephone. This is for the 
coffee-shop on the corner of that north virginia town and the 
raspberry chai that flavored a lonely year away and the 
art studio that saved me. This is for 
you and your goddamn gorgeous mind.

And when I think that someday I might look at a little girl with a 
familiar ski-jump nose and bright old-soul eyes and know that she might
grow into someone who could write her own elegy of a young life with
the same worries and joys and losses and longings,
a knot of contradictions pierced by bright and dark strings strung 
permanently through other people’s hearts,
well it sometimes
makes me weary 
and it sometimes
gives me hope.

I must remember to tell her to travel light as often as possible.

poem - January 2012

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were a poet. You're inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we haven't talked about our writing before! I have to read some of your stuff, if you're open to it.

    ReplyDelete