Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The House on Main Street


Everything is muted here,
but muffled, not drab.

The red carpet underfoot
is softer than it looks.
The couch under my hands
feels rough and worn,
beaten by dogs' paws,
and the same people
sitting in the same old place.

The television: off-color, like
a photograph taken with a filter
knocked off-kilter.

But my words and rhymes
are too heavy here.
What lives –
simple, witty conversation,
jokes and sarcastic lashes,
love - poured
with your glass of beer.

The dog in my lap nodding off, and you -
reciting lines of films seen much too often,
laughing among faces known so well.

There are lighthouses painted
where the walls and ceiling kiss,
their imagined light shining,
leading me to this place,
next to you.

The wet tongue of a terrier on my face,
and the scent of gin on your mother's breath
as she smiles, chuckles,
hugs me to her, the dog brought along,
everything equal in her embrace.

All of this feels just like home.

poem - January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment